Civic Science adheres to the following policies with regard to Your privacy.
A. “NPI” is information that is not personally identifiable and that is obtained through Your use of the Service.
B. “PII” is non-public information that is personally identifiable and obtained or derived in connection with providing the Service to You. It may include information such as Your name, email, phone number, and address that You may voluntarily elect to provide to Civic Science. PII does not include information that has been made anonymous or aggregated so that it can no longer be used to contact or identify You.
3. INFORMATION COLLECTED
When You use the Service, Civic Science collects NPI such as Your device’s browser type. Likewise, in order to offer You meaningful products and services and for other reasons, Civic Science may collect information about You from the following sources:
- Information available to Us through weblogs about Your traffic on other websites; or
- Information You give Civic Science on applications or other forms while using the Service, including, without limitation, Your responses to questions through any Widget or App; or
- Information You send Civic Science via any medium, including, but not limited to the Service, email, telephone, and social media interaction (including through cookies and related technology and device information); or
- If You use a mobile device platform to access the Service or communicate with Civic Science, information transmitted from Your mobile device; or
- Information provided by third parties.
Do Not Track: Some web browsers (including Safari, Internet Explorer, Firefox, and Chrome) incorporate a “Do Not Track” (“DNT”) or similar feature that signals to websites that a user does not want to have his or her online activity and behavior tracked. If a website that responds to a particular DNT signal receives the DNT signal, the browser can block that website from collecting certain information about the browser’s user. Not all browsers offer a DNT option and DNT signals are not yet uniform. For this reason, many website operators, including Civic Science, do not respond to DNT signals.
Collection of Location Information
When You use the Service, We may collect location data from the browser or other software that You use to access the Service. We may also collect precise or approximate location data from Your device’s internet protocol (“IP“) address or WiFi or location information You include in Your responses to questions through any Widget or App (e.g., a zip code). Civic Science may also receive precise or approximate location data passed to it from third-party services or GPS-enabled devices that You have enabled.
Log Files, IP Addresses and Information About Your Device
When You use the Service, Civic Science may receive the URL of the site from which You came and the site to which You are going when You leave the Service. Civic Science may also receive the IP address of Your computer (or the proxy server You use to access the internet), Your MAC address, Your computer operating system and type of web browser You are using, time zone setting, browser plug-in types, Your mobile device, including Your mobile operating system, as well as the name of Your ISP or Your mobile carrier.
5. USE OF PII
Civic Science is a for-profit corporation that earns money by administering polls and opinion questions, some of which may be sponsored by outside parties, collecting the answers from those polls and questions (“Data“), selling the anonymized Data collected to third parties, and by providing Data and analysis services and other forms of anonymized information to third parties, including without limitation researchers, commercial entities and other organizations. Civic Science combines Data submitted by or gleaned from You, derivatives thereof, and cookies with the Data of other users and develops proprietary databases containing the Data. Civic Science may sell portions of such databases or analysis thereof to third parties; however, all such Data is (i) de-identified and (ii) only sold subject to a covenant that the purchaser will not attempt to re-identify such Data.
We may aggregate data about users of the Service and use it for statistical purposes. This information helps Us to better understand users of the Service and how to improve the Site and Our offerings. This information also helps Us analyze click-through rates, demographic data, and other internal measures.
From time to time, We may disclose the information collected from You, including PII, in accordance with Section 8 (“When Civic Science May Disclose Your Information”), below.
In addition, Civic Science uses and/or intends to use PII and NPI to:
- Operate and improve the Service;
- Track use of the Service;
- Provide You with the Service and other products and services that You may request or that You have expressed interest in;
- Evaluate Your interest and needs in order to improve the Service and make available other offers, products, or services;
- Provide Civic Science clients with Your Data and voting history, and insight about Your Data and voting history however such Data will be de-identified such that no Civic Science client will be able to contact You regarding any response;
- Provide You with personalized offers based on Your Data and voting history;
- Evaluate the types of offers, products, or services Civic Science makes available to You and potential customers;
- Provide customer support;
- Communicate and provide additional information that may be of interest to You through email or other means, such as special offers, announcements, and marketing materials;
- Create collections of aggregated and anonymized information or insights to sell to Our business partners;
- Send You reminders, technical notices, updates, security alerts, and support and administrative messages, service bulletins, or marketing; and
- Manage Civic Science’s everyday business needs such as Service administration, forum management, fulfillment, analytics, fraud prevention, enforcement of Civic Science’s corporate reporting obligations, Terms of Service or to comply with the law.
Civic Science makes inferences from the data Civic Science collects, or matches with others, in order to show You questions and content that Civic Science thinks may interest You, advertisements for products or services that Civic Science thinks may interest You, create market insights for Civic Science clients, or create targeted-content for Civic Science clients. Civic Science may also predict whether different anonymous identifiers associated with different browsers and different devices, like a laptop, a phone, or a tablet, may belong to one person, and then link the activity Civic Science sees across those devices into a common profile.
6. LIMITATIONS ON ACCESS TO PII
Our policies limit access to un-aggregated user PII that is collected from the Service, including Our Widgets and Apps, to Our employees and agents and the employees and/or agents of Our affiliates and business partners who need the information to fulfill their business responsibilities, and who are under obligations of confidentiality. By supplying Your PII to Civic Science, including information supplied through the Service, You consent to Your information being transferred to Civic Science, its affiliates, vendors, or agents. Vendors and other outside contractors We engage are subject to Our contractual requirements for safeguarding PII.
In addition, Civic Science employs commercially reasonable security measures, including advanced technology, to protect PII collected against unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, or destruction. Civic Science reviews and enhances its security systems in a commercially reasonable manner and as it deems necessary. Even with such technology, no web site or database is 100% secure. Civic Science cannot and does not guarantee that such security measures will prevent loss, misuse and/or alteration of information under its control.
7. OTHER WEBSITES
Civic Science is not responsible for the actions, practices, or content, including but not limited to the privacy practices, of such third-party websites from which You may access the Service. Civic Science does not guarantee, approve, or endorse any information, material, services, or products contained on these third-party websites. Civic Science is not responsible for any content on sites linked from or to the Service or for obtaining the necessary consent for such third-party sites to collect, transmit, or otherwise use Your information that You provide them.
8. WHEN CIVIC SCIENCE MAY DISCLOSE YOUR INFORMATION
A. Civic Science may share Your opinion Data and voting history, including any PII You submit with Your opinion Data, to the Civic Science customers that host the corresponding Civic Science poll or Widget. For clarity, in addition, Civic Science may share collections of aggregated and anonymized information or insights to sell to Our non-affiliated business partners and customers.
C. Civic Science may share PII Civic Science collects, as permitted by law, or when required or advised to do so in response to a valid legal requirement to release this information such as a state or federal law, regulation, search warrant, subpoena, or court order; or in special cases, such as in response to a physical threat to You or others, to protect property, or if We determine such disclosure is legally advisable or necessary to defend or assert legal rights or prevent harm, to defend ourselves in litigation. In the event that Civic Science is legally compelled to disclose Your PII to a third-party, Civic Science will attempt to notify You unless doing so would violate the law or court order.
D. Civic Science may share PII in accordance with Section 11 (“Transfer of Ownership”), below.
E. If You prefer that Civic Science does not share certain PII with its partners, customers, contractors, and service providers, as described above, or would like to submit a request for Civic Science to delete Your PII, You can contact Us (email@example.com). Please note that an opt-out with respect to information sharing will not apply to information sharing arrangements described in Sections 8. C or D and cannot be retroactively applied. Civic Science may need to request additional information from You that may be required to establish Your identity or locate Your PII. Upon receiving a request from You to delete Your PII or to stop further disclosure to Civic Science’s partners, customers, contractors, and service providers in accordance with this Section, and Civic Science verifying Your identity, Civic Science will use good faith efforts to delete Your PII or prevent further disclosure to Civic Science’s partners, customers, contractors and service providers (each as subject to applicable law); provided, however, that due to Civic Science’s attempts to anonymize and aggregate information collected and Your use of the Service across different devices and browsers, it may not be possible to (i) identify all information that You submitted or was derived from Your use of the Service or (ii) delete all information You submitted. As an example, if You submitted information by completing a poll on a Widget using Your phone and request to delete all information You submitted, Civic Science may not be able to identify, and therefore delete, information You submitted by using the Service through a home computer as information originating from You.
F. Civic Science may share your NPI with its partners, customers, contractors, and service providers. Civic Science takes commercially reasonable steps to ensure that these partners, customers, contractors, and service providers are not reidentifying your NPI or matching it with any database that contains PII.
9. SECURITY POLICY & USER ID/PASSWORD
The Service utilizes various information security measures such as internet firewalls, an intrusion detection system, encrypted data transmission, and operating procedures to protect Your PII, accounts, passwords, etc. Your PII is kept completely separate and confidential unless You have given someone else access to Your PII. If Civic Science provides the capability for You to create a user ID and password, You should protect Your user ID and password and NOT share them with anyone. If You believe Your user ID and password have been compromised and You have trouble changing Your user ID/password on the Service, please contact Civic Science’s technical support department (firstname.lastname@example.org).
10. CAN-SPAM COMPLIANCE NOTICE
Civic Science and its affiliates fully comply with the federal CAN-SPAM Act. You can always opt out of receipt of further email correspondence from Civic Science.
11. TRANSFER OF OWNERSHIP
12. NOTICE TO RESIDENTS OF COUNTRIES OUTSIDE OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
13. CALIFORNIA PRIVACY RIGHTS
Pursuant to the California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA“), You may have certain rights granted to You, if Your PII is “personal information” as defined and protected by the CCPA.
A. Categories of Personal Information We Collect
B. Disclosure of Personal Information to Third parties we may disclose Your personal information to a third-party for a business purpose subject to confidentiality and non-use restrictions. In the preceding twelve months, we have disclosed de-identified personal information to third parties that may have access to all or a portion of the database of poll responses.
C. Your Rights Under the CCPA
- Right to Know. You have the right to request that We disclose to You the personal information that We collect, use, disclose, and sell. To submit a verifiable consumer request to know, You may call us at 1-844-4CVCSCI (toll-free) or email us at email@example.com with “CCPA Right to Know” in the subject line and in the body of Your message. In certain circumstances, We may not be able to provide specific pieces of personal information (e.g., if such disclosure creates a substantial, articulable, and unreasonable risk to the security of such personal information or our business systems).
- Right to Request Deletion. You have the right to request that We delete any of Your personal information that we collected from You and maintained, subject to certain exceptions. In certain instances where we are not required to comply with Your request for deletion, We will let You know. To submit a verifiable consumer request to delete, You may call us at 1-844-4CVCSCI (toll-free) or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with “CCPA Right to Delete” in the subject line and in the body of Your message.
- Right to Opt Out. All users have the right to “be forgotten” as outlined in Section 17 below.
- Shine the Light. Pursuant to Section 1798.83 of the California Civil Code, residents of California can obtain certain information about the types of PII that companies with whom they have an established business relationship have shared with third parties for direct marketing purposes during the preceding calendar year. In particular, the law provides that companies must inform consumers about the categories of PII that have been shared with third parties, the names and addresses of those third parties, and examples of the types of services or products marketed by those third parties. To request a copy of the information disclosure provided by Civic Science pursuant to Section 1798.83 of the California Civil Code, please contact Civic Science via email to email@example.com.
- Right to Non-Discrimination. Should You exercise any of Your rights under the CCPA, You have the right not to receive discriminatory treatment by Us.
We reserve the right to verify Your identify before We process any of the aforementioned requests relating to Your personal information. Only You, or a person registered with the California Secretary of State that You authorize to act on Your behalf, may make a verifiable consumer request related to Your personal information.
15. PROTECTING CHILDREN’S PRIVACY
Use of the Service is limited to users who are eighteen (18) years of age or older and/or have the legal capacity to form a binding contract or, as set forth below, users who are between fourteen (14) and seventeen (17) years of age with consent of a parent or guardian. Civic Science strongly believes in protecting the privacy of children. In line with this belief, We do not knowingly collect or maintain PII from the Service from persons under thirteen (13) years of age, and no part of the Service is directed to persons under 13 years of age. If You are under 13 years of age, then please do not use or access the Service at any time in any manner. We will take appropriate steps to delete any PII of persons less than 13 years of age that has been collected on the Service without verified parental consent upon learning of the existence of such PII. Individuals under the age of thirteen are expressly forbidden from participating in Our polls for any reason.
16. GENERAL DATA PROTECTION REGULATION (GDPR)
17. RIGHT TO BE FORGOTTEN.
Subject, as the case may be, to additional elements that may be required to establish Your identity, You may send Us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org to request, at no charge, to delete any information We may have collected from You (subject to applicable law); provided, however, that due to Civic Science’s attempts to anonymize and aggregate information collected and Your use of the Service across different devices and browsers, it may not be possible to (a) identify all information that You submitted or was derived from Your use of the Service or (b) delete all information You submitted. As an example, if You submitted information by completing a poll on a Widget using Your phone and request to delete all information You submitted, Civic Science may not be able to identify, and therefore delete, information You submitted by using the Service through a home computer as information originating from You.
Date last updated: December 10, 2019
|A. Identifiers.||If Registered through the App, we collect real name, alias, unique identifiers, email address, account|
name or other similar identifiers.If answering poll questions through the Widget, we collect cookie data, unique identifiers, online
identifiers, Internet Protocol address.
|B. Personal information categories listed in the California Customer Records statute (Cal. Civ. Code §|
|If Registered through the App, we collect Your name and address.|
|C. Protected classification characteristics under California or federal law.||We may ask questions regarding age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, religion or|
creed, marital status, sex (including gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy or childbirth and
related medical conditions), sexual orientation, and veteran or military status.
|D. Commercial information.||We may ask questions regarding personal property purchasing or consuming histories or tendencies.|
|E. Biometric information.||We may ask questions regarding genetic, physiological, behavioral, and biological characteristics, or|
activity patterns, such as sleep, health, or exercise data.
|F. Internet or other similar network activity.||We collect browsing history.|
|G. Geolocation data.||We may ask for Your zip code and we also derive local information from IP addresses.|
|H. Sensory data.||We do not collect Sensory Data.|
|I. Professional or employment-related information.||We do not collect Professional or employment-related information.|
|J. Non-public education information (per the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (20 U.S.C. Section|
1232g, 34 C.F.R. Part 99)).
|We do not collect non-public education information.|
|K. Inferences drawn from other personal information.||We create an anonymized profile reflecting a Your preferences, characteristics, trends, predispositions,|
behavior, attitudes, intelligence, abilities, and aptitudes derived from Your poll answered.