Who has the best original programming, Netflix or HBO? We asked over 3,000 people what they thought. Overall, 64% prefer HBO, while 36% prefer Netflix. Now there’s another big name added to the list of competitors- Amazon. Amazon has introduced their first original show, “Alpha House.” It doesn’t have nearly the fan base of HBO or Netflix, but we will continue tracking the question to see if Amazon has a shot at success in the original programming realm. For now, we are focusing the comparison on HBO and Netflix.
Netflix probably has an idea that their original programming fans are younger, have a lower income, and over half are unemployed. However, Netflix may not know that their fans think a company’s social consciousness and overall kindness is very important. The fans are also very concerned about bullying, like to ski, and they think they are much taller than others their age and gender.
HBO probably knows the majority (55%) of their fans are men who are employed and own a home. But, they may not know that 60% of their fans always vote, that they like country music, or that they consider themselves overweight.
So for any HBO or Netflix executives out there, we are bringing you interesting information on the habits, behaviors, and thoughts of Netflix and HBO fans, so that you can make accurate decisions on how to reach, market to, and keep those fans. Below are the top 21 differences between those who prefer Netflix for original content and those who prefer HBO for original programming:
- HBO fans are 52% more likely to be 35-64 years old.
- Netflix fans are 88% more likely to be 24 years old and under.
- HBO fans are 30% more likely to have a household income of $75K+.
- Netflix fans are more than twice as likely to say a company’s social consciousness and overall kindness is very important.
- HBO fans are 40% more likely to receive television service via cable/broadband.
- Netflix fans are almost 2X more likely to think Fox has the best weeknight programming among other networks.
- HBO fans are 29% more likely to consider themselves overweight.
- Netflix fans are 46% more likely to be addicted to their digital devices (computer, smartphone, etc.).
- HBO fans are 41% more likely to say it’s a good time to purchase a new home.
- Netflix fans are twice as likely to not be registered to vote.
- HBO fans are 41% more likely to be engaged in politics.
- Netflix fans are almost 2X more likely to say they are much taller than others their age and gender.
- HBO fans are twice as likely to closely follow NCAA Football.
- Netflix fans are 74% more likely to enjoy skiing.
- HBO fans are 50% more likely to be very loyal to their favorite brands.
- Netflix fans are 86% more likely to spend less on entertainment over the next 30 days as compared to the last 30 days.
- HBO fans are 26% more likely to drink coffee every day.
- Netflix fans are 32% more likely to own an iPod or other MP3 player.
- HBO fans are 27% more likely to be currently employed.
- Netflix fans are twice as likely to see movies in 3D when available.
- HBO fans are 24% more likely to make spending cuts over the next six months.