Award season begins Sunday with the 72nd annual Golden Globes, hosted by Amy Poehler and Tina Fey. It’s the third time the comedy duo will be hosting the Golden Globes and according to last year’s results from the CivicScience InsightStore™, people really enjoyed them as hosts. Of those who watched the awards, 56% loved Poehler and Fey as hosts and another 20% liked watching them as hosts. So what’s the main reason people tune in to the Golden Globes? And who are likely to watch the awards? Let’s find out.
After polling 2,439 people 13 and older, a total of 28% are planning to watch – 9% are very likely to watch the Golden Globes and 19% are somewhat likely to watch.
We took a look at who is planning to watch on Sunday and are sharing some of their demographic and psychographic information.
The Likely Golden Globes Viewer:
- 36% more likely than average to be women.
- 34% of watchers are 35-54 years old and 36% are 29 and under.
- They are 50% more likely than average to have a household income of more than $150K.
- 16% more likely than average to not be a parent.
- 49% more likely than average to be under 18 years old.
- 28% more likely than average to be single, never married.
- 70% more likely than average to go to the movies at least once a month.
- 65% more likely than average to watch 10+ hours of music/entertainment TV.
- 41% more likely than average to closely follow trends and current events in health and fitness.
- 67% more likely than average to use Twitter daily or weekly.
- 23% more likely than average to use Facebook daily or weekly.
- 2X more likely than average to use Pinterest daily or weekly.
Likely watchers are more likely to be younger women who are single and don’t have children. She is more likely to be active on Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest. The watchers are also more likely to watch music and entertainment on TV and go to the movies more often than the average.
We also found out why people decide to watch the Golden Globes. Of those who watch, 47% do so to see who wins the awards, 34% watch to see the fashion, 16% tune in to see the hosts and only 4% enjoy the acceptance speeches.
Those who enjoy seeing who wins the awards are more likely to be women, 33% are 24 and under, 72% have at least a college or technical degree and 48% live in the suburbs. 41% of those who enjoy the fashion are 35-54 years old, 46% live in the suburbs and 55% are parents or grandparents.
We’ll see if Poehler and Fey get the same positive reviews as last year. Enjoy the Golden Globes!