The Golden Globe Awards were hosted a few nights ago, and all everyone seems to be talking about is Meryl Streep – and for good reason. While accepting the Cecil B. DeMille Lifetime Achievement Award, she poured her heart out, and gained a whole deal of attention – both good and bad. Only the “Devil in Prada” herself could pierce a President-elect with such elegance and tranquility.
But that said, step off newbie fans! There are a whole lot of lifelong fans who have loved her way before her most recent speech. If you want to join the Meryl Streep fan club, there’s a few things you should know first. But first, exactly how big is the club?
Answer: It’s big. 59% of Americans have a favorable view of the lifelong actress (meaning they either answered that they like her or that they love her). Now let’s get to the good stuff:
1. Meryl Streep Fans Are Older. Fans of Meryl Streep are more likely to be over the age of 55. What’s more is that people who feel neutral towards her are 24% more likely to be Millennials, and 55% more likely to be under 18. Well – that is up until now. Maybe her poised tirade against the president-elect garnered some newfound love among these neutral young folks – who tend to lean to the political left.
2. They Care About… Meryl fans are 15% more likely to say they’re very concerned about the quality of public infrastructure (ie roads, bridges, sewers etc… ) where they live. Maybe the next issue Meryl should tackle is this ongoing problem. Or maybe it’s…
3. Veteran Affairs. Fans of Meryl Streep are 48% more likely to be very concerned about the state of veteran affairs right now, and are 37% more likely to be somewhat concerned. This high correlation probably has to do with the age of her fans, being that many of these Baby Boomers could have served in the military, or know others who have.
4. News Preferences. Unsurprisingly, fans of Meryl Streep are more likely to watch left-leaning news. More specifically, her fans are 33% more likely to watch MSNBC most for national news, and are 28% more likely to watch CNN most for national news. If she ever retires from her fabulous acting career, being a regular guest on these networks could be a fun succeeding career move.
5. They Shop in Style. Fans of Meryl Streep are 22% more likely to be fans of shopping at Bloomingdales. There’s only one explanation: The Devil Wears Prada, of course.
6. She’s Not the Only Celeb They Love. Meryl Streep fans are 45% more likely to be fans of Oprah. This isn’t too surprising. The two dynamic personalities recently signed a letter, along with Tina Fey, calling for gender equality in Hollywood. They also just rock. Brava, ladies!
And last but not least…
7. Meryl Fans Don’t Like Donald Trump. Even though her fans tend to be older, and therefore tend to lean more conservative, they are 54% more likely than everyone else to hold an unfavorable view of Donald Trump.
In addition, 65% of Meryl fans (yes, that many) believe that Donald Trump will have a conflict of interest between his business interests and his role as president. So, her speech may have been very appreciated among her fan base. Though many people have lamented the voices of celebrities over this past election season, perhaps more people are open to celebrities using their voices to advocate for social issues than people give credit for. More on this later…
So if you’re a new fan, do you fit in well with the rest of us, lifelong fans? Just asking – it’s not like I’m not overprotective of Meryl or anything…
Interested in other media/entertainment or politics insights? Take a look at the personalities of Angelina Jolie fans, the infamous battle between Kellogg’s and Breitbart, and our top insights of 2016!