CivicScience frequently tracks unexpected consumer insights, available as a free preview to registered subscribers. For even more insights, get in touch.

Do aliens exist? Have extraterrestrials visited Earth before? These are just a couple of the questions brought up during the recent UFO Congressional hearing, where former military officials talked about various sightings of unidentified aerial phenomena (aka UAPs), and made allegations that the U.S. government is withholding information on the matter. The late-July hearing ultimately sparked a larger discussion about alien activity on Earth among the general public. 

So, where do Americans stand on these topics? According to our latest SPEC report, 60% of U.S. adults say they believe it is at least ‘somewhat likely’ extraterrestrial intelligent life forms have visited Earth before. Twenty-six percent say it’s not likely at all, and 14% say they’re unsure. 

In a separate poll asking if people believe in aliens or not, 32% of U.S. adults with an opinion say they’re confident that aliens exist, 45% think there’s a chance they’re real, and 23% don’t believe in aliens at all. Further inspection of the latter poll via the InsightStore shows there are some key differences between those who ‘absolutely’ believe in aliens and those who don’t believe in them ‘at all.’